Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

transforma[tion]

A lot has happened over the past 24 hours! It's really starting to take shape!

The addition is sheathed.


The vinyl siding has been removed, in preparation for the new hardie board siding. It will be installed over the existing asbestos shingles.


The walls between the house and the addition have been removed, so we can finally see how large the kitchen is and how the flow of the house will work!


And this beautiful green trim has been exposed! (just kidding about the 'beauty')

Monday, October 25, 2010

protec[tion]

With the thunder storms approaching, and leaving work a little late, it was dark by the time we got to the house tonight, but I was able to take a quick shot of the roof sheathing. Thank goodness they got it on before the storm!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

repara[tion]

Well, it was a full day's work today, but Brian managed to take down 4 old panels, and replaced with 4 new. And I hammered extra nails into panels that were already up, and then finally got started on the battens! Check it out!

North facade
South facade
Still need to figure out the front wall/door, replace the roof, and paint. It's coming along nicely though!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

construc[tion]

We gave in on the cleverness of the title. Brian suggested 'construction', so I went with it, since I'm tired. The roof joists went up today, and it's quite exciting to see the addition taking shape! The walls are all in place, and on Monday they will start sheathing. It's moving fast now!




I just included this one because I like that it looks like Brian
is holding that board that is actually about 15' behind him.

Friday, October 22, 2010

habita[tion]

Little did we know that we already have a pet! Just not sure if it's a cat or racoon...

Thursday, October 21, 2010

connec[tion]

The place where two parts connect; the link; the bond. This is the critical part... where the old house meets the new addition! 
 
What it looked like at 8:45am
  
... and then at 1:00pm!
Brian trying to show the crew how it's done.




Wednesday, October 20, 2010

jubila[tion]

Progress! All in a day's work!

Brian sent this from his phone
More photos (from Thursday morning)...


Progress is being made, although some discrepancies in measurements. Hopefully those will be resolved today! To see more photos, click here.

Friday, October 15, 2010

founda[tion] follow-up

Block piers are in place! The contractor says that the addition will be constructed and sheathed next week. We shall see.


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

founda[tion]

Finally the footings have been poured! And hopefully the block piers will be built on Thursday.





Wednesday, October 6, 2010

excava[tion]

The task completed today... trenching for the foundation of the addition. And it is my understanding that this was dug by hand because the backhoe guy wasn't available!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

demarca[tion]

The task completed today... marking off the boundaries of the addition.

irrita[tion]

Yesterday, we arrived at the house after work, and NOTHING had been done. This was surprising considering that a. they have a permit, and b. the weather was perfect (sunny and 70's). No excuses!

So Brian called this morning (thank you), and according to our contractor, the crew will be working today. Here is what he told us:
  • They will be digging the next 'couple' of days
  • Laying the brick for the foundations
  • Placing the rebar
  • And by the end of the week, should be pouring concrete
UPDATE: So the last of the above mentioned tasks were completed today (October 13), 8 days after this original post. I will admit that there was a weekend & one holiday day mixed in there, but still!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

apprecia[tion]

Thank you so much to my mom & Gene for making the trip to Charleston to WORK, and to Brian for all his hardwork and patience with me...  

after
before
My Mom & Gene came down for the weekend with high hopes of rebuilding the shed. I owe them a huge THANK YOU. Even though we didn't get as far along as we'd hoped, there was a lot of progress made in regards to cleaning up and cleaning out. As you can see in the before and after shots above, there were chairs, boards, random steps, and crosses, etc. Brian and I tried to get most of the prep-work done before their arrival on Friday, and we did make some good headway, however on Saturday morning when work began, it appeared that there would need to be some clean-up on the exterior of the shed as well! So the boys went to work on tearing down fences, pulling down vines, and cutting down trees! Sunday morning, we took a family trip to Lowe's for supplies to actually get started on the construction. While Brian & Gene worked on the shed, my mom and I worked in the yard. We cut back most of the plants for the winter, spread pinestraw, and pulled/sprayed weeds. The progress of the weekend can be found in the dumpster, although this photo was taken on Saturday night, only halfway through the mayhem!
 

More photos from the weekend:


There will be more progress photos to come... looks like it will take a few more weekends before the shed is complete! Stay tuned.