Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

solu[tion]

We are running into issues on the shed, but Brian has come up with a way to install the columns on the front of the shed. He has decided to build a low concrete block wall on each side of the 'front (grilling) porch' that will allow him to set anchor bolts for the column base. Sunday we only had a few hours to work, with other stuff going on, but Brian managed to make some progress on the low walls, and I painted the first coat of white paint on one side of the shed. This is taking longer than anticipated, due to the fact that I am rolling the paint on, since I can't seem to figure out my new paint sprayer. Sad.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

subtrac[tion]

I removed the shutters from the house this weekend. It is a pet peeve of mine when shutters obviously do not cover the windows that they are installed on! Call me crazy, but if they don't do their job, then they need to go!





Friday, November 19, 2010

heating, ventilating, and air condi[tion]ing

That's right, we have ductwork & unit in place for the new HVAC system!

eleva[tion]

We have siding!



And lots of ladders!


The ductwork & air handler for the HVAC are being installed as we speak. Not sure of the schedule on this, but excited that it's at least started!

Monday, November 15, 2010

colora[tion]

One of the biggest decisions regarding the house was made this weekend... COLOR! Eek!


Can you guess which one we chose?
  1. Lemon Verbana (lighter green)
  2. light blue (the name escapes me, it was shortlived, as we were pretty set on green)
  3. Edamame (darker green)
Well, we went with the lighter green. Our neighbor agreed that we needed something 'cheery, not drab'.

The siding is supposed to go up in the next couple of days, and insulation is being blown in tomorrow. This past weekend, we continued to work on the shed, and will most likely start painting the shed (white) this coming weekend. Progress!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

dura[tion]

We are to the midway point of this construction process. It’s been 3 months since our closing, and we have 3 months to the deadline. Yay, we’re (at least) halfway!

The guys have been scraping the existing (green) trim on the house, and installing new trim where needed. They may actually start installing the hardie board siding today (fingers crossed), and the insulation guy is supposed to be insulating the walls of the existing house before the siding goes on. Hopefully towards the end of the week, we’ll have our cute little house back… she’s been looking pretty rough lately!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

apprecia[tion] ~ part 2

You may remember that my mom & Gene came down about a month ago to help with the shed, and the task for that weekend was replacing the siding. Fortunately, they came back to help again! So this past weekend, Brian & Gene's goal was to replace the roof, and build the new front wall. The original front wall is being replaced with support columns, and the new front wall (with door) is shifting back 4'-0" to allow for a small 'grilling' porch off the front of the shed. Brian was able to find someone from our construction company to help with removing and replacing the roof shingles, so the weekend was quite productive with three people working! See the photos below; the left picture shows the shed at the beginning of the weekend, and the one on the right shows the current state.


You can see that the framing of the original front wall is still in place, so they will eventually construct 6x6 columns (to match the porch on the front of the house) to carry a beam and supports for the roof. They will also install a new door, and there is still siding that needs to be cut for the gable ends. We have a few more battens to install, and once it's complete, we'll paint the whole thing! All in all, the weekend was a success! More photos of the new walls & new roof:


View from inside shed

new roof, new partition (sans battens)
Thanks again Gene! We look forward to your next visit!

Friday, November 5, 2010

prepara[tion]

The house is naked! They've removed all the siding, and the new Hardie board won't be installed until next week. It's all very exciting!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

correc[tion]

Originally the walls only went up to 9' or so, and the master bedroom is going to have a cathedral ceiling, so the walls needed to extend all the way to the roof. Well, they do now!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

determina[tion]

We met with the contractors this morning at the house to discuss final framing issues, as well as questions about the schedule. Mostly, I wanted to remind them that we are almost halfway through, considering they had a 6-month timeline, and we have 3 months to go. Overall, the meeting was positive, and they actually said they would like to wrap up construction by the end of the year! Whoa... I'm not holding my breath on that one, but at least I know they are motivated. It seems the hardie board siding was being ordered today, and they are hoping to have the exterior of the house completed by the end of next week. The electrical is starting next week, then they'll move to plumbing, then mechanical, and finally drywall & finishes. It will be interesting to see if they stick to this. Fingers-crossed!