Anyway, back to the mobile... it was handmade in Kenya from recycled copper and steel wire. The website that I purchased it from is a Fair Trade store called Global Crafts. According to their website, their mission is to provide artisan crafts from developing countries to mainstream markets.
In the meantime, I found a few other mobile ideas on Pinterest that I thought I could combine with the mobile I already had, to create a one-of-a-kind mobile for our little tyke!
The first inspiration image was so clever for a bicycle-themed room, that I couldn't resist. I pinned it months ago, and finally made the leap. Originally I had seen it on Apartment Therapy, but the actual creator is Lauren from Lauren Clarks Blog.
I found a bicycle wheel on ebay for $9.99 (buy it now price), and then another $10 for shipping. But I was happy to have found it for $20 and went ahead and purchased it.
Next up, was another mobile I had pinned a while back from the Etsy shop Lil Sprout Creations (it's being sold for $50). Theirs is pretty elaborate with the silver rings connecting the dots, and the sophisticated bars and spacing, and long flowing strands of color.
Although I had originally thought of possibly making a similar version out of fishing line and paint chips, I already had these other two ideas that I wanted to combine. That is until we decided on a bed sheet for the little one...
It's called Skip Hop: Mod Dot and it is available at both Babies R' Us and Target, both of which we had registries. It truly incorporates the whole rainbow of colors that I was already thinking for the nursery, so it was perfect! BACK TO THE STORY. The 'mod dots' reminded me of this mobile, so to tie everything together, I thought 'what the heck'... let's do this. I went to Lowe's and discreetly picked up about 24 paint chips, getting varying colors of blue, green, yellow, and red.
One thing that I wanted to change was the actual strands, sticking to one color per strand. So a blue strand, a green strand, a yellow strand, and a red strand. I started by trying to figure out how in the world I was going to get perfect circles cut from these chips, and that's when I remembered the oversized hole punch from Stampin' Up that I had from previous projects where I've used the candy cups for party favors, here and here. Lo and behold it was the perfect size for the circles that I needed! See below how I maximized the space allowed on the paint chip cards!
Next up, how to get these suckers on a mobile. I thought fishing line at first, but I didn't have any fishing line, and since the wire bicycles above were on black thread, I thought it would be nice to do these with black thread as well.
After deciding on a length for the rows, I measured out equal spacing between the circles.
Then it was time to glue!
Once glued, I weighted them down for drying.
Next came time to put it all together...
And now that it's finally hung in the room...
I can share it with you!
So for around $30, I have a completely unique mobile! I love it, and hopefully the baby will too!
Thanks Brian for rigging up the hook (which even rotates, by the way)!